Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Finding Integrity

Not that I didn't have integrity before Monday morning...but I was reminded of what it feels like.

I checked my grades Sunday evening and discovered that my Spanish midterm was added, and I astonishingly made a 97. For about 5 seconds, I was super excited, but then I convinced myself that the grade was a falsehood. But, I shared in my excitement with others and thought nothing of it until I walked into class Monday morning...

My professor handed back the exams, and in reality, I actually made an 87! The blow wasn't crushing, since I had prepared myself. After class, I slowly walked up to her and said that my grade was entered incorrectly. I gushed my revelation and quickly followed it up with, "I didn't want to tell you, but I knew that I had to..."

She smiled and said thank you. A few hours later, my grade reflected reality.

I'm still doing well in the class, even with losing 10 points that were never mine.

I told Fr. David that over dinner, and after I stopped squirming in my chair out of sheer whateverness (I had sunk rather low, so low that my face rested on the dinner table), I told him that I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole thing.

He said, well, that's integrity. And you have it.

I know that the brief sentence seems rather simple, but to me, the concept was far from simple. It took a dear friend and excellent shepherd to point that out to me.

Integrity...it feels weird to remember it, but it feels good.

Also, this has nothing to do with integrity, but I went to see Mumford & Sons last week (finally! a dream come true, to say the least), and here's a new song for ya. Conveniently filmed at the night of my show, which makes this video find doubly cool.

"Ghosts That We Knew" - Mumford & Sons

No comments: