Monday, December 12, 2011

A Happy Kind of Sad

Ha, funny that I'm learning and questioning and thinking a lot these days...and I'm not even in school no mo', at least for the next month.

I think that I've maybe referenced "happy sad" before, perhaps not. But, just within the past week, I've learned more about it. I've lately been thinking of my departed dogs, Duke and Rocky. It was especially poignant when I was driving to the barn the other day when the realization hit that I was driving past the same exit that would take me to the same emergency vet hospital that we took our dogs to, to be put down. That was an awfully long sentence.

I was happily singing along to some song, when I looked up at the sign as I rounded the familiar curve. I thought, you know, if you were going in the opposite direction, you'd be heading straight for the animal hospital.

I stopped singing as I choked back tears.

I really miss my dogs. This Christmas will also be the first one without Rocky.

I went home on Saturday to help decorate the tree as well as a few other odds and ends. As I was going through the stockings to hang them up, I came across Duke's and Rocky's. I didn't know what to do with them. My sister and I decided to hang them up as we frowned at each other.

Then today, a friend shared this cartoon on facebook. It made me sad at first, but then I realized, I was more happy than anything, 'cause it's true. So there you have it, happy sad.


Also, yesterday's reflection still puzzles me.

"No man should seek his own good but rather the good of others." - 1 Corinthians 10:24

"The law of love obliges us to love what is good for us. But it also obliges us to love what is good for our neighbor." - St. Francis de Sales
What does that even mean??? I mean, I know on the surface-level what they're saying, but I was left with a nagging question.

At what point does seeking the good of others impede your well-being, your relationships with others and even with God? How do you love others and love yourself, without doing harm to both them and you?

No comments: