Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fuddy Dud

I was reminded by a wonderful person and roommate that I hadn't blogged in awhile. Naturally, a story Megan told me the other day makes for perfect blog material. We'll skip the story and get straight to the point:

For the record, I'm not a stick in the mud!

I mean, I'll be the first to admit, I used to be one. Though, I wouldn't trade the things/events/people/situations/whatevers from my past that have apparently made some (if not a good majority of my graduating class) think that I'm a stick in the mud, uber goody two shoes.

Well, whether or not they'll ever read this, I don't think that I am one, anymore.

I frequently (probably more than I should...) use curse words. I drive way over the speed limit. I've had a few stereotypical college experiences (hey hey now, not that crazy...I am still kind of a goody two shoes). I shirk responsibilities. Also, I don't have everything together like everyone thinks or thought I would. I think and sometimes say mean things about people. I have a sense of humor and can laugh at the corniest of jokes to the raunchiest of them all. I have fun. I laugh. I break rules. I go to bed at awful hours. I'M NOT PERFECT, nor should I be the poster child for perfection.

For some reason, I was a little sad when Megan recounted the "...wait what? Ashley isn't a fuddy dud?" story. But then I thought, why am I sort of sad? Some of the things I've listed above may not make me a stick in the mud per se, but they certainly don't make me a better person.

So, then what? Who am I?

I guess I've discovered that I'm still in the process of trying to figure out who I am. Who I'm supposed to be. But then, isn't that sort of thing a process and experience that lasts your entire life? I don't know.

What I do know is that I'd rather be the person God wants me to be instead of the person that society thinks I should be (or, in light of the story, thought I was). Not that sticks in the mud are bad or aren't fun, but you know what I mean? I hope so, 'cause I can't explain it.

For now, I guess I'll be a way-less-than-perfect, rule breaking fuddy dud who loves Jesus.

Also, in preparation for my rapidly approaching 21st birthday, another friend of mine, lovely Sarah, created a Facebook event titled, "Ashley Siferd is finally LEGAL!" She really made me smile.

I guess if anything could tie it all together, it would be the discovery of a new song, just days before Megan told me her story. It's actually pretty legit and applicable to so many things. My favorite lines, so far:

So I pointed my fingers, and shout a few quotes I knew
As if something that's written should be taken as true

Yes! Though, for my particular story this evening, I would go a step further and apply the spoken word rather than the written word.

"When My Time Comes" by Dawes

1 comment:

Mary said...

Anybody who calls a priest "Dude" isn't a fuddy duddy! :D
I still get a chuckle over that one!
Happy Birthday!