Saturday, October 29, 2011

Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me or seen in me - put it into practice." -Philippians 4:9

Though the draft for this post is a few weeks old, I wholeheartedly believe that it is applicable to every single day. For whatever reason the day of this idea's inception, I struggled with "practicing what I preach", as the saying goes.

As you may well know, if you've been reading long enough, I tend to suffer from foot-in-mouth disease. Usually it's over silly little things that cause me embarrassment. There are those times though when my behaviors and actions and words don't reflect those of Christ. I am not being who God wants me to be.

The other day in Spanish we worked on translating proverbs, and one of them was something along the lines of, don't say anything if you can't say something good. Or whatever. But you get the idea.

Really, St. Ignatius of Antioch hit the nail on the head when he said, "It is better to say nothing and be a Christian than to speak and not be one. It is good to teach, if we practice what we preach." Rather than make a fool of myself, or worse yet make a mockery of the faith that I love so much, I should keep my mouth shut. In the same breath, I should apply the same thought to my actions.

I think we could all heed his words. Instead of just talking about things, why don't we actually do what we say we're gonna do? Instead of saying, "I love Jesus for x, y, and z...so should you!"...let's actually LOVE Jesus for being x, y, and z by ourselves being x, y, and z.

As I've heard often, be the face of Jesus to all you meet.

Then try using your words.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Thanks for the reminder!