Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Three Things

I feel like the only things I ever talk about on this blog are horses, college, and Mumford & Sons. If you knew nothing else about me other than my love for horses and Mumford & Sons and my experiences at the University of Tennessee, I'd feel alright with the information you can glean from those three things.

This past Saturday at Horse Haven, we picked up and brought home 6 new horses. We usually don't go to the western end of the state, as in Memphis!, but it was a special situation. I'm so glad we were able to help. I happened to be at the barn when Elvis, Shelton, Grace(land), Duchess, Priscilla, and Reba arrived. They are all incredibly malnourished, but most of them are so friendly and just love people. As I was on my way out, I was asked to refill their water buckets...they were so thirsty that they drank most, if not all, of their water soon after they settled into their stalls. Duchess came up to me, nosing around. She is 7 months old, and she's freaking adorable! I love horses.

Next to Hans Zimmer, I don't think I've ever really loved a musician(s) as much as I do Mumford & Sons. My lovely friend and future roommate sent me a link the other day to a page that compiled "lesser known original, rare, and cover songs" by Mumford & Sons. It seriously made my day. The page did ease my sadness a bit. Funny story, at least to me when I think about that day...a few weeks ago I discovered that the guys would be coming to Asheville and Raleigh, NC and Atlanta for shows this summer. My discovery came too late, as all of the cheap tickets were sold out. But for a few weeks, I hoped and tried in vain that I would be able to go see them (for cheap, the tickets left on 3rd party sites run at least $80 now). Then one night, the cold reality that I would not see them this summer hit me. I literally pouted and moped around the rest of the day. I was so bummed that I willfully did chores without being asked.

Here's one of the songs from that super-awesome website.



My spring semester officially ends later today when I take my last final. When most of my friends and collegiate peers are rejoicing for the end of the semester and summertime, I really can't bring myself to their level of exultation. You see, I'm doing what I said I wasn't going to do ever again...I'm taking summer classes. My mini-term class, Spanish 300, starts tomorrow (Wednesday). It only goes for 15-16 days, and then it's over. On June 2, my 1st session summer class (Business/Professional Communication) starts. Because it is only half of the summer semester, I'll be done on July 6. Then I can have a break. In the mean time, though, this reflection was a nice reminder that I won't have to go it alone.
I can do all things in Him who gives me strength. -Phil 4:13

By myself I can do nothing, but in union with God I can do all things. Out of love for God, I want to do all things! -St. Vincent Palloti
I'll do my best to not let summer classes be a drag. I promise. Pray for my mind though, if it hasn't disappeared already. I'll see you in I-don't-know-how-many-days.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I may have to take another trip out to see the "new" horses! Especially the little one!