Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Say What?

I've been taking my mini-term class for over a week now, and surprisingly, it isn't that bad. I mean, it isn't the most exciting thing I've ever done, but it has a little more than slightly exceeded my expectations. I kinda maybe sorta like it. Say what?

Upper level Spanish class for 3 hours a day every day does get a bit tiresome, but the way my professor teaches the class, most days it doesn't feel like I've been there for 3 hours. And to my initial surprise and joy, my classmates and I are quite chummy. I think it has something to do with our mutual bond of "part self loathing, part self-imposed insanity, part just-plain-we're-all-funny."

We all, for whatever reason, purposefully signed up for this 3 hours a day for 3 weeks, intensive, upper level Spanish class. All of those descriptive words basically sum up why most people look at me (or my class friends) with such amusing looks of pity and awe. I love it.

What's also interesting is campus life. I should actually say lack of campus life. There is literally no one else here! Most everyone cleared out by the last day of spring semester finals, which was May 10. Mini-term started the 11th, and the only people I see are: guys working on various road and campus building-related construction projects, UT staff and maintenance people, professors, and lethargic looking mini-term students. Some grad and undergrad students are here doing research as well, but for the most part, there is no one! It is so different. Campus is its own little ghost town.

That'll change come June when official summer classes start. Freshmen orientations and the like will probably start around then or sometime soon after, so campus will liven up a bit. But not that much.

Spring semester grades came out today. With the relatively new (and crappy) online system, you can't see any of your final grades until over a week after the last day of finals. The anticipation sucks. I made 3 A's and one A-. An A- isn't much fun because it drops your GPA. I don't know one student/friend on this campus who loves getting an A-. Just give me a B instead, seriously. Give me a few more hours though, and I'll stop lamenting. As my friend reminded me earlier, there's no use crying over spilled milk. Or grades that you can't do anything about.

So I leave you with a video that I accidentally came across just a few minutes ago. It is something actually worth getting a little teary-eyed over (if you're a mush pot like me). Be proud! I understood most of the Spanish without the help of subtitles.

No comments: