Thursday, April 21, 2011

Don't Fall Asleep

The other day, I had iTunes set on the "prayertime" playlist, and "Stay Here", one of my favorite Taize songs, started playing.

Stay here and keep watch with me. Watch and pray.

I kept chewing and chewing on these beautiful words. I came to no grandiose conclusions. What I arrived it was much simpler,

Don't fall asleep. Stay awake. Keep watch with Me. Pray.

But, oh how many times have I fallen asleep! I'm just as bad as the disciples were in the garden. I may think and tell myself that I'll stay awake, but no, there have been times when I willfully and sometimes unconsciously wandered away or fallen asleep.

So, let's all try to stay here and keep watch. Let's not let the gift of the cross and the resurrection pass us by, let's not let Easter go by as just another day of the year.


Let us all be awake this Triduum, this Easter. Be present and soak up everything that's around us during these beautiful liturgies.

I love Holy Week.

No comments: