Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sigh No More

I have discovered a new band. Rather, I think I have discovered a new love. I'm sure by now that my friends are sick of hearing me talk about Mumford and Sons...

...but I just can't help myself! I know that some of my friends love them as much as I do while some don't care for them at all. That's fine. Won't change my feelings, for sure. I'll probably be annoying until the high of discovering awesome music wears off.

Very few songs and very few albums make me feel alive. What? I don't quite understand it. I usually feel God's presence in the absence of words more than I do songs with lyrics. Just give me instruments, and I'll be fine.

Give me instruments and words that make me feel awesome?! That is quite the accomplishment. Because of those lyrics and sound, I feel more aware of God in my life. You know, sometimes you just can't articulate what you want to say to God. It is always nice when you find help to speak. And when you finally organize that gobbledygook of thought into something, your heart says and sings it along with you.

I'm happy as a clam. Or I'm happy as my Charlie dog is when, well, when is he not happy? Anyway, I'm still learning the words so I can sing along to all of their songs.

Nerdfest alert, perhaps. We'll see. So I give you a sampling of the awesomeness that is Mumford and Sons. The title track of their album "Sigh No More" puts into words what I cannot:

Love it will not betray you
Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free.
Be more like the man you were made to be
There is a design, an alignment, a cry
Of my heart to see
The beauty of love as it was made to be

I don't particularly enjoy much, if any, Christian music outside of the traditional church hymns (and Mass parts!). Mumford and Sons isn't a Christian band, but the aforementioned lyrics correlate so well with the love that I feel Jesus provides to all of us. No cover charge.

His love doesn't betray, dismay, or enslave us. It sets us free. It helps make me the person that the Father made me to be.

Chyeah, I'd say that's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I think you're not listening to the "right" Christian bands! Some of them are just awesome! I'm going to have to check out this "Mumford & Sons"; seems like I've heard of them!