Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I'm Free!

Yeah I'm free, free fallin'...

Okay, not completely. I still have two days left of class, but all of the big stuff before Spring Break starts is over with. All that's left is to read for communications and read a little Thoreau for American lit, which I'm excited about.

This is a picture of my calendar which incorporates all of my big assignments for each class. At some point it turned into more than just a way for me to keep track of assignments...it is now a countdown type of thing, so now I can officially say it is halfsy time! That is, I'm halfway through the semester :)


I'm sure all of 5 people will show up to class on Friday, and I'll be one of them. Even though break is right around the corner, I still don't like missing class unless I absolutely have to...that would be the nerd-goody-two shoes in me. That'll never die.

Being a good little pedestrian won't die off either. A police officer honked at my friend and me today while we were in the crosswalk. Once we got to the sidewalk, we turned to look at him, and he said, "Watch where you're walking next time." All I can say is, lol. I mean, we were in the middle of a crosswalk for crying out loud. We wouldn't have crossed the street if it wasn't safe. And you, as an officer of the law, should know that pedestrians have the right of way. Tee hee!

Today is Ash Wednesday! Not to be Captain Obvious, but it's just one of my favorite days of the year. I went to the 8a.m. Mass on campus, and in spite of the rainy day, my ashes have stayed on my forehead. They don't look like much of a cross anymore.

Funny thing about this picture, other than my face, is that I gave up swearing, or more specifically the entire range of swear words for Lent. Notice anything?

"You know you got something on your forehead?" Yes, yes I do...I wish when people did double takes or repeatedly stare at me that I had time to explain to them what the "something" is all about. Ash Wednesday and the Lenten season are incredibly meaningful and full of growth for me. In passing though, I rarely am ever afforded the opportunity to tell that other person that no, it's not dirt they're ashes. And this is why they are on my forehead...

C'est la vie, right? Though, I didn't have to explain what the ashes were for in my literature class. Apparently everyone I sit around is Catholic or they're Protestants who also put ashes on their foreheads or they just know the significance of today. That was actually really cool because then we all talked about today and Lent and what we were giving up or doing extra.

I leave you with a link to my Ash Wednesday post from last year, which sums up everything that I love about this day and then some: Just Dust.

Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

2 comments:

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Enjoy your spring break, Ashley. Our college is on break this week. I don't think my ashes have ever been so dark or lasted so long. I look like I have a jet black triangle in the middle of my forehead!

Mary said...

I love how organized you are! Funny about the policeman honking at you...you know I'm a jaywalker! :D