Monday, February 14, 2011

Te Amo Duke

"I was ill and you took care of Me...Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did it for Me." -Matthew 25: 36, 40

Before all things and above all things care must be taken of the sick. They must be served in every deed as Christ Himself. -St. Benedict

I almost made it today without crying, almost. St. Valentine's Day has usually just felt like another day to me. Last year, though, that changed.

We put our beloved dog, Duke, down on this day last year. He was sick, and it quite literally came out of nowhere.

That's what still hurts the most. Death isn't fair, ever. No matter how much notice you have, it still just sucks when you drive home with one less member of the family present. Or when you wake up the next day thinking they'll come running into your room to wake you up just so they can go outside and pee.

That and the day we found out Duke was dying, we selfishly asked if it would be alright to take him home for just one more day, so that we all could say goodbye. I can tell by looking at the pictures of us with Duke that there is something identifiably different about him. You could tell he was sick. In a way, we were holding on when it was really time to let go. After we took him to the vet, I didn't wash the sweater I wore that day for almost 2 months because it still smelled like Duke. 

God, I miss him so much.


"On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you." -John 14: 20

3 comments:

Mary said...

I know how hard it is to lose a family member. You have such an incredibly big heart!

maroo said...

You honestly made me cry with this. :(
Couldn't have stated how unfair death is better myself. I'm sorry about you puppy :((

Lori said...

Awwww, I just know Duke is running through the tall grass of Heaven right now, waiting for you to get there with a happy smile on his face! Lori