Friday, January 7, 2011

Stay In School

I had planned on writing yesterday in an attempt to break the "not blogging funk", but our local internet and cable provider decided to not work for over 24 hours. I don't think that I am bored with writing. Unless it is a paper for school, I don't like to force ideas and words out. That's when writing becomes no fun!

Classes are getting ready to start in a few days. Nothing sobers you up from an over one month long break like logging onto your online classroom to find materials for the upcoming semester. I received a healthy dose of terror mixed with excitement when I read the syllabus for my anthropology class.

I am excited for this semester. I have a feeling it will be much better than the last one. I picked the anthropology class because I am very interested in the subject matter, but it is also registered as a graduate class. The little kids get to play with the big kids sometimes!

I'm also excited because I get to apply for the Communication Studies major. After brief stints in history and geology, I think I have found something that I like and will be of great value to me after college. And it's not value in the sense of a piece of paper that has the potential to get me a better job, but value that I can't really describe.

Though I have entertained many career choices and dreams, one underlying element has always been to help people. I still don't know how I want to do that, but I feel that I can do that best with a Communication Studies degree. Always gotta start somewhere, ya know? I am hopeful that I won't change majors for a 4th time. I've looked at what's ahead in the major, and it all seems very interesting.

When I was a junior in high school, we had to write a personal narrative paper and then present it to the class. Those of us in A.P. English 11 have basically been in the same set of classes/had the same teachers since the 5th and 6th grades...at least when I moved here (before I came to Tennessee, I'm sure they were still together). So presenting my paper to them would be fun, as they all knew too well of my crazy career dreams.

I found that paper the other day. It was a good reread. Though some aspects of the paper have changed, I still want to be a volcanomarinebioarchaeSealphotopirateteacherhumaneologist :)

If I could be a "professional student", I think I would like that. Unless college suddenly becomes free or at the very least I wouldn't end school up to my ears in debt, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with one major and maybe a minor, and I'll just try to take as many fun electives as I can before I graduate.

Hello Spring semester! Hello 2011!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Aw, to be a professional student! And not have to pay for it!!! Hope you have a good start to your semester!