Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dog Days Are Over

I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE! I'M DONE!

Okay, whew. I got it out of my system. If you can't tell, I am finished with my fall semester. I can't believe it, really. It took forever.

No more fossils, taphonomy, Raup's parameters, pleiotropy, synapomorphy, Uniformitarianism, Cuvier's Law of Coordinated parts, ancient marine sediments, facies, WYSIWYG, histories of newspaper, radio, & internet, public relations, book publishing, guest speakers, transition metal chemistry, electrochemistry, entropy, enthalpy, Gibbs free energy, colligative properties, molality, calorimetry, redox reactions, acid-base reactions, titrations, buffers, Malinowski's hypothesis, the 3 population demographics of American Indians, Windigo psychosis, Takonga society, wacipi, artistic styles of Plains Indians, requirements of being a federally recognized tribe.

Yeah, all that and more! Everything in the list above comes from one of my 4 classes that I took this semester. Though it is a complaining block of type, I actually did enjoy my North American Indian anthropology class. A lot.

The Communication and Information class...eh, not as much as anthro, but it wasn't too bad.

Paleobiology and chemistry = no enjoyment whatsoever...unless the professor made a funny. Which did happen often in paleo.

Interestingly enough, I have discovered that a lot of what I learned in paleo & anthro applies to more things than I realized. I've been able to read a few National Geographic articles with tie-ins to both classes, and I understood more of what I read because of my education. Now that is cool.

However, this semester was incredibly challenging in all aspects: physically, mentally, emotionally. I am glad it is over. Now I have over a month off.

Yes, over ONE MONTH OFF!

Now, if you need help identifying moccasins or dresses as Cheyenne, Lakota, Crow, Blackfoot, Apache, Kiowa, or Ute, you just let me know. If you need help with fossil identification, I probably won't do you much good, but I still like looking at rocks and fossils!

The dog days are over! Happiness has hit me like a train on a track...

Might I suggest you check out Florence and The Machine's "Dog Days Are Over"...here. It's an excellent song.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Congrats! You made it! One more semester down, huh? MS got home yesterday...hope I don't kill him before he has to go back! ;)

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Enjoy your vacation! As a former teacher, I always enjoyed Christmas holidays--although they weren't as long as college semester breaks. So..take a deep breath and enjoy!

Mark G. said...

Good job! I think this is just the sticky-toon you need to put school behind you (for a while)...

http://www.savagechickens.com/2010/11/destroy-all-monsters.html