Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Counting

Do you ever have one of those moments when you experience at least two or more emotions/feelings at the same time?

Well, that just happened to me. I was watching the news in silly hopes that the weather would lighten up tomorrow. And by lighten up, I mean warm up.

All of a sudden, I found myself incredibly sad that the low for tomorrow will be 10 degrees, with -10 to 0 wind chills. It's only supposed to get up to around 20.

Immediately, alongside the sadness and a yearning to give my extra unused blankets, jackets, and sweaters to the homeless people that I know are living on the streets, I realized that I had just tapped into a vast chasm of thankfulness.

I do have unused blankets. I do have "bottom of the dresser drawer" and "top of the closet" jackets and sweaters. There are people right now that are sleeping out in the cold and ice, though they may have tried to gain access to one of the local shelters.

I am inside my parents' house, with my warm jamjams and extra blankets on my bed, and two cats to keep me warm. The heat coming from the vent lies a foot away from me on the floor.

My heart aches because at this present moment, I can't do anything to help. But the first chance I get, I'm donating my unused coats and sweaters and blankets to the nearest shelter. I don't need them, but there are those who do.

I don't want the homeless, the cold, and the hungry to be left out this Advent, this Christmas season. So while I am being thankful for the countless blessings in my life, I also realize that there are people who have less than I do. I pray that they find shelter from the wind and cold, a jacket to keep them warm, food to fill their bellies. I pray that God will keep them safe tonight and every frigid night. I pray that God will guide me to do what He needs me to do for all my brothers and sisters.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. -Matthew 5:3

1 comment:

Mark G. said...

I thought about those folks that don't have the luxuries of warm houses & hot baths, too, this morning. I was very grateful for these comforts & also contrite that so often I take them for granted & only want more.

There are lots of ways to get involved with ministries & charities that help the needy when it's cold. My angel tree kids just wanted coats for Christmas. Done.