Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nerdfest #2

I have basically had no life since, um, this Sunday. After I got home from Mass, all I did was study for hours. No joke guys, it took me 4 hours to do 2 chapters worth of chemistry problems. Can you say B-O-R-I-N-G? Yawntastic. Frustration-central.

My chemistry test tonight is over weak acids and bases (which is only half of the acid/base equilibria chapter), aqueous equilibria, thermochemistry, and chemical thermodynamics. I think I just died a little when I reread that. But I have been studying a lot, been quite the studious little Ashley every day since Sunday. Here is just a taste of what I will most likely see tonight...


Yesterday afternoon, however, a little of my resolve cracked. To an observer, I may have looked like a total jerk because I wasn't paying attention in chemistry discussion. The TA and a few students took most of the class period to do the SAME PROBLEM 3 different ways. After the millionth attempt at reaching the answer, I casually threw in that the exact problem we were doing from some random worksheet was in fact, in the book. "Yes, we know that, but..."

My poor TA was just having a bad day, and he misunderstood what the goal of the actual problem was. A few other students in the class only exacerbated the problem by asking repetitive questions. I had already answered the problem correctly, so I felt justified in tuning out.

I thought I was going to shoot myself. Instead of offing myself, though, I started doodling. At first, I just did this curvy little line, and then I realized that I could actually turn it into something cool...


Nerdfest alert! I turned a squiggle into a dinosaur. Then I went a step further and turned it into a "gaited" dinosaur. I only did that because for the first time in my life, I can finally remember what a gaited horse is. Not that you care, but whatever. To all of my horse-knowledgeable friends, I hope this answer is an adequate description. Gaited is when two legs on the same side of the horse move forward together. Like my right arm and right leg moving forward at the same time, etc.

But the fun doodling is not over yet! And the having no life part isn't over yet! I have an anthropology abstract due on the same day as our second test, which is this coming Tuesday. Here is the list of tribes that we have to have memorized. I'm thankful that he didn't make us learn all ~560 federally recognized tribes. This list only has 138 on there. I've got them all memorized by area.

Oh such is the life of a nerdy college student. I lead such an exciting life.

No comments: