Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Holy Heart

"The temple of God is holy, and that is what you are." - 1 Corinthians 3:17

When Christ came, He banished the devil from our hearts, in order to build in them a temple for Himself. Let us then do what we can with His help, so that our evil deeds will not deface that temple. - St. Caesarius of Arles

I have struggled as of late with the inability to keep my heart open and clear of obstructions. It wasn't until last night's reflection when I fully realized that, though it is not always easy to do, I must keep my heart, my temple, clean and full of light.

If I don't allow my heart to be open, then I shut out the Light that is trying to enter. It becomes not a temple of light for Christ but a temple of something dark for sin.

I went to bed the other night with a very angry, upset heart. I could not calm down. And I don't enjoy not being able to do so. I guess the other evening was just a breaking point for me (the millionth time this issue has come up, only this time it was magnified), but luckily for me and those involved that my resolve didn't crack.

It could have been very ugly, not just in words potentially said but in the feelings that I would inevitably harbor inside after the fact.

I have so much to be thankful for! Why let some dumb, idiotic, stupid, pointless issue cloud my judgment? My feelings? My very being?

My life is full of decent grades, an almost over semester, interesting fall weather, quirky yet lovable friends, a family that loves me no matter what, a car that works, a home, horses, dogs, cats, and visiting family members that I hardly see.

The issue will go away eventually. Until then, I will just have to work harder on keeping my temple clean and full of light. If not, Christ can't enter. I strive to have a holy heart.

1 comment: