Friday, November 12, 2010

Being Thankful

Yesterday I found myself incredibly thankful for all of the many blessings God has granted me.

Every morning and night when I pray, and even during the day with my little random bursts of prayer, I always find something to be thankful for. Last night, I wondered if God ever got tired of hearing me say thanks all of the time. Personally, I don't get tired of hearing thank-yous, but I know that on rare occasions, I don't always enjoy hearing the same story over and over again.

Then, as if to answer my wandering mind, last night's reflection said:

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's Will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Ingratitude is the enemy of our immortal souls. Ingratitude empties our souls of merit, scatters their virtues, and deprives them of graces. - St. Bernard

God appreciates many things, of this I am sure. Now I know that yes, even though to me it seems rather repetitive, God loves it when I say thank you. He loves it when we all say thank you!

Yesterday, I went to bed all happy and warm and fuzzy and thankful for many reasons. I know I said that at the beginning of this post, but I must reiterate goodness! I think the biggest source for all of that happiness started when I made a mixed CD for my friend. You see, about a month ago I promised Katie Ann that I would burn her a copy of a CD we listened to in my car. I totally forgot about it until yesterday afternoon when I had plenty of free time to do whatever.

I planned on dropping it off in her room on my way to the library. Where she lives now (not in a dorm), it is easy for me to just waltz in inconspicuously. My goal was to put the CD where she would find it and hope that she would figure out it was me. But to my surprise, she and our friend Genoa were in her room already! I completely surprised them when I magically appeared in the doorway.

It was funny, with the sort of cheerful shouts and "Ashley Siferd!" and hugs going on. I don't think they'll ever know how happy I was to see them and witness their reactions. It always feels good to know that you are loved.

It made my day, my year, heck...it made my life. I am thankful for wonderful friends, especially Katie Ann and Genoa.

1 comment:

Mark G. said...

There is a certain joy that accompanies an attitude of thankfulness, isn't there? It's acknowledging the right order of things - our creatureliness in relation to the Creator.

Thankfulness brings peace because it acknowledges the truth that we are utterly undeserving of the amazing gifts we are given. It testifies to the immense love that God has for all of us.

I feel sad for people who don't know God, don't want to know him. To whom & for what are these folks thankful?

That said, I am easily drawn off towards all kinds of problems & concerns & other hard places where I forget to be thankful.

Thanks for the reminder!