Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nerdfest #1

I have known for years now that I am what you may consider a nerd. I don't think I am the Merriam-Webster definition but to varying degrees I am a nerd.

And I like being one. It is who I am. Believe you me, though, it isn't always a walk in the park. When I'm affectionately made fun of for the little or big things that I do, I 99.9% of the time enjoy it. I don't know if I can even accurately describe the feeling, but I'll try.

Being affectionately made fun of actually makes me happy. What? Yes. Because the person who is doing the making fun of usually identifies with me...or they're just as nerdy in that aspect! Take Harry Potter as an example. Yesterday I was lamenting about writing my lab outline. Lab outlines are not hard, but they're boring. They are required because the lab instructors & TA's want proof that we read the lab beforehand. I also wanted to take a nap during homework time instead of doing homework. I said to my friend Jade, who was also working on some laborious assignment, "Potions would be more fun than writing out this lab outline."

Teehee! Cue giggly nerd laughter. But wait!!! I don't even know how we jumped from me whining to making a list, but by God we did. We suddenly found ourselves trying to find the Hogwarts/wizarding world equivalent of our classes here at UT.

You may respectfully and/or playfully disagree with our list, and we may take your suggestions into consideration. It is a work in progress. But this is legit guys. It's the real McCoy.

  • Ancient Runes = any foreign language
  • Potions = chemistry 
  • Divinations = a combination of philosophy, religious studies, & astronomy 
  • Care of Magical Creatures = animal science
  • Charms = physics 
  • Defense Against the Dark Arts = a combination of criminal justice & forensics

  • History of Magic = medieval studies (or any history class really)
  • Muggle Studies = anthropology

A few weeks ago, I also had another Harry Potter moment with some other friends. This is from Facebook: "Hey that's just like the Unbreakable Vow scene. I'm Bellatrix Lestrange, Tim is Snape, and Sarah is Narcissa Malfoy! Only they used their pinky fingers, not wands." If you don't know anything about that particular scene, well, read the 6th book! Or you can watch it here.


Anyway, our little situation wasn't nearly as dire, rainy, black, and creepy as the scene from the movie. But you get the idea. I said the aforementioned quote aloud, and then posted it on Facebook. My sister April commented, "And you and your friends always thought that I was the one who was a wee bit looney." My Dad "liked" my sister's comment.

See? I'm just a barrel of nerdy laughs wherever I go. I still laugh when I think about it all.

Which brings me to a few important announcements:

1) I did not mean to post about Harry Potter two times in a row. It just happened. Making up for lost time, I guess.
2) I'm going to try to do a "Nerdfest" series. By acknowledging my nerdy attributes/qualities/gifts, I am thanking God for making me who I am. Because I am happy with me. I want to share my thanks with the world.

2 comments:

Josh said...

History of Magic= Mineralogy because I always fall asleep. heheh

Katie said...

I love that I got to read about your awesomeness whilst listening to the wonderfulness of the Harry Potter theme. :)