Thursday, July 29, 2010

S is for Sophomore

As you know, I have been taking summer classes. While they have sort of been the bane of my existence, I'm appreciative for them. They haven't been terribly difficult. It's just that my body and my brain are wired for not going to school in the summer, so what do I do? I take summer classes, and consequently throw every thing off.

I have really enjoyed my "Introduction to Cultural Anthropology" class for many reasons. I have learned quite a lot, and I've discovered a new area of interest. I'm pretty sure I will not change my major, but I'd like to take more anthro classes as electives. Learning about people is fascinating, says the people watcher.

While "General Chemistry 1" has been a refresher course from my high school chemistry days, it has been the class where I put forth most of my time and effort. Between online homework, lab procedure outlines, prelab work, studying for an endless string of tests, oh and having to be there all day on Wednesdays, I have been a little burnt out. I can't complain too much because the class hasn't been incredibly hard, just incredibly taxing.

I am more proud of my achievements in chemistry class because my test grades have improved considerably each time. Usually in science classes, my test scores are within a decent range. This summer I started with an 82, then a 91, and last week I made a 97. A 97!!! Let's just hope (and study study study!) that my final exam reflects my improvement in test scores.

Though summer school has been a drag, I am looking forward to fall classes. I just like learning, and this fall promises to be very interesting. Here is my crudely designed Excel schedule:

The following descriptions come from the online course catalog. I think my semester looks way awesome, but within that cool aspect lies an awful lot of work. I have 3 labs and 2 writing intensive/research type classes. Pray for my sanity, friends, because there is a good chance that it might take a hiatus during exam time!

Anthropology 310 - North American Indians: Comparative overview of Indian cultures of North America. Topical coverage ranges from prehistory and aboriginal lifeways to problems resulting from contact and acculturation. Writing-emphasis course.

Chemistry 130 - General Chemistry II: A general course in theoretical and descriptive chemistry. Chemical equilibria, thermochemistry, descriptive chemistry of non-metallic and metallic elements, electrochemistry, introduction to organic and biochemistry.

Geology 310 - Mineralogy: Introduction to the concepts of crystal chemistry, x-ray diffraction, optical mineralogy, and geochemical analysis of the important rock-forming minerals. Laboratory includes hand-specimen, x-ray diffraction, and microscopic identification of minerals.

Geology 320 - Paleobiology: Critical analysis of the preserved record of ancient life, with emphases on recognition of evolutionary patterns, processes, and extinctions. Interpretation of ancient environments and the integrated use of fossils and other geological features in solving problems of geologic correlation and age dating. Statistical and qualitative approaches applied to field and laboratory data.

Medieval Studies 201 - Medieval Civilization: Introduction to basic themes in the medieval experience approached from interdisciplinary points of view and including philosophy and religion, art and architecture, language and literature, and social and political history. Writing-emphasis course.

There you have it folks. I officially started my sophomore year this summer, in terms of credit hours. In the old school sense, my sophomore year begins on August 18.

I hope to make more time for blogging, as I have had several post ideas floating around. I like to write, but I also like school. Hopefully the balance between the 2 will come back this fall.

2 comments:

s-p said...

Wow, those are some classes... I'd be in the dunce corner on day two. I hope you do well, Wisefool (sophos-moros).

Rae said...

That is a lot of labs! Medieval Studies sounds most interesting to me. :-)