Monday, June 14, 2010

The Everyday Things

Have you ever noticed how beautiful the ordinary things are?

I do it all of the time. I think that is one of the gifts that God gave me. Why is that a gift? Maybe it's a gift because I can appreciate all that He puts in front of me. When I say everything, I mean everything.

Rock formations. Colors in a flower, bird, gemstones. My family. Leaves bigger than my hand. That goofy smile my little sister makes. My dogs. Driving a car. Mountains. Trees. Streams full of yesterday's rain. A good book. Internet access. My cats. Music.

Last night I was especially thankful and joyful for what I consider one of life's wonderful miracles. I came home to find my family all out by the pool deck, dogs included. Within 10 minutes, we had all funnily made a subconscious decision that Charlie could finally get in the pool.

You see, we've never had a family dog that liked to play in the water. Charlie has brought the joy of playful banter in the big water tub to our lives. He bites at the hose and plays in the old turtle sandbox turned "Charlie pool." He always eyed the pool, but we always told him no whenever he made any kind of jumping-in motion.

Last night that dry spell ended. (No punny business intended). My sister April reached up the pool ladder, grabbed him, and walked around the pool with him. All Charlie would do was cling to her and lay his head on her shoulder. Within a few minutes, he was swimming around but with the help of Ape, not totally by himself.

Ape put him back on the pool deck, but he just whined to come back in the water! He can now proudly swim around the pool by himself, but he still needs help getting out because he's a dog and can't climb a ladder made for humans.

Yes I know, dogs are born with the ability to swim. Charlie, however, never got to test that out before now. So I consider his little swimming lesson one of the highlight's of my entire life. Tonight we went swimming. My youngest sister and Charlie both bothered me until I took them out to the pool.

I also learned to appreciate being able to walk and run. The University of Tennessee campus is not for the faint of heart. There is really no flat way for me to get to class. My legs get a good workout each day I go to class. I am not in great shape, I don't think I ever have been my entire life. But I'm thankful for what I've got.

Enjoy the small things! They often mean more to you than you realize.

p.s. I'm working on my El Salvador/NPH post. It's going to be big.

2 comments:

simplyy jackiee said...

<3 you're awesome love.

FOCUS UNSW said...

You are very right. The simple, ordinary things are those that count the most.

It is when you cannot see something special in the ordinary that you should be worried!

The mother of Fr Thomas Hopko, the former Dean of St Vladimir's Orthodox Seminary gave this advice to him: Go to church, say your prayers,read the Bible.

God bless.

Pandelis