Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Thief


A thought occurred to me the other day. This isn't a rare occurrence, mind you, but the fact that I still remember the conversation that I had with myself (in my head, not out loud!) a couple of days ago should tell you something. Especially since I have a whole week of freedom and no class on my mind as well as lots of homework/researching/surveying/writing/scheduling to do. I digress.

Have you ever pictured yourself as the good thief on the cross? You know, the one who defended Jesus from the derision of the other condemned man?

But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed have been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise." -Luke 23: 40-43

I think we could all take a page from the good thief's book. Not the page about willfully doing wrong or illegal things. Let's take the page about defending our Lord and our beliefs, about following Jesus and no one else. Let's learn to recognize our sins and that wonderful gift that they are washed away by the death of the guy on the cross next to us. They are washed away because that guy loves us and wants only the best for us.

Only, this guy isn't just any guy. He is the guy. The Son of God. Our Redeemer. Our Savior. God made flesh to walk amongst us, to teach us of the Father's love and peace, to bring healing and salvation to the world.

The thief on the cross recognized who the man next to him was. He defended Jesus from the other condemned man. Then, he asked Jesus to remember him. That's all he wanted was to be remembered by Jesus. He didn't ask to be taken off of the cross.

That's what I want too. To be remembered by Jesus so that I may enter into Paradise with Him. As painful as carrying my crosses can be, I don't want them to just disappear. I want help to carry them.

The thief and I surprisingly have a lot in common.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Ashley, beautiful and succinct, that is what I want too!