Friday, March 5, 2010

Happiness

Last night I crawled into bed, suddenly feeling blue and not too happy. It was weird, I thought, since I had an awesome day the entire day. I just started thinking about a lot of things, and then I realized that I just didn't feel happy. As part of my evening prayer, I opened my little green book full of daily reflections, not expecting much. I just thought I would read some words and hopefully go to sleep. Ha! God had another plan in mind. The Scripture verse was:
I consider that the sufferings of the present are not worthy to be compared with the glory that shall be revealed in us. -Romans 8:18
It was exactly what I needed to hear. Suddenly I was overwhelmed with this sense of peace and happiness, knowing that what God had just told me was true. My sufferings will pass. They are not even close to what the good that is to come. I can't even begin to tell you how much that helped!

Today has been one excellent way to start off my Spring Break. My two afternoon classes were canceled, so I was done with class at 11. All through out my English and Intro. to Stats classes this morning, people were cracking jokes left and right, asking ridiculous questions, and going off on tangents every 5 seconds. It was great fun.

I managed to get all of my stuff into the car in two trips. For the first time in a long time, I drove out of the parking garage with my sunglasses on and the windows rolled down! It was absolutely wonderful outside. We had a few days like today a couple of weeks ago, but then it snowed and got nasty and cold since then. Today was a nice reprieve, and hopefully it will be the beginning of a nice change in the weather.

When I got home, I threw all of my things into my room and just laid on the couch. It feels good having a tolerable amount of homework, but being able to put it aside in favor of the couch is an awesome thing. I didn't take the interstate all the way home, but instead took a back road. On the way, I passed my town's nice little walking trail and thought it would be a good idea to take a walk.

After a few veg hours on the couch, I looked at my dog Rocky and asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. Of course he did! What dog wouldn't want to? The two of us set off on a rather short adventure, Rocky always tugging on the leash and never just walking. We made it to the 0.9 mile marker in the hopes of making it to the 1.0 mile marker for a round trip total of 2.0 miles. Rocky however did not want to cross another street, so we ended up walking 1.8 miles. It was not quite the goal I had hoped for, but for his first walk in a long time, I'm pretty proud of him.

The only sad part of the walk was that every now and then, I kept thinking of how much Duke would have loved to come out there. I don't think we ever brought him on a walk on the trail, and it made me sad. In spite of that depressing thought, it felt like he was walking with us.

Next time we go, I hope to remember to bring my camera. I was mad when I realized that I left it at home instead of bringing it on the walk. It was so beautiful out today! God truly is wonderful. He knows just what to do to make you feel better.

Now I'm getting a nice dose of laughter watching the always funny Bernie Mac Show. Happy Friday! :)

No comments: