Thursday, March 18, 2010

Barabbas


So my goal for this year was to post more often, instead of days at a time. Then I realized that this morning, that goal had turned into an epic fail. Why? I wondered.

Oh wait! I know...it's college. This past week I've been given loads of work in Spanish, and I had to finish the final touches on my speech that I presented last night. Man oh man was I not looking forward to giving the speech. I know the subject matter like the back of my hand, but I was just nervous and worried about not staying within time limits (I have a big problem with that). Afterward, I felt pretty good about it. Then, in order to do my self-evaluation, I had to watch myself on DVD. So I did, and while it was nowhere near a perfect speech, it was pretty darn good.

I also had to watch a movie for Spanish class, and the only one left that they would be showing at the library (for free I might add) was El Orfanato. It is a product of Guillermo del Toro, labeled as a horror film, and entirely in Spanish. I had to leave the auditorium 20 minutes into the movie because they didn't put the Spanish subtitles on the screen, so I wasn't following along as well as I could have if I was reading along. So I took advantage of the system, and subscribed to Netflix for their 2 week free trial.

In hindsight, I probably should've toughed it out and watched the movie with the others in the auditorium. I watched the first half alone in my room. Big mistake for a scaredy-cat like me! I finished it last night (this time with my roommate in the room). Boy was it one good (but scary!) movie. I highly recommend it, even if you don't like foreign films or subtitles or scary movies, you should still watch it.

After the movie, I crawled up into bed in the wee hours of this morning. I pulled out the "Little Black Book" for Lent, which is a book filled with 6 minute reflections for every day of Lent. Tuesday night and Wednesday night's Scripture verses were about Barabbas and the crowd demanding that Pilate crucify Jesus.

I kept thinking about Barabbas. He was saved by the crowd, and in his place an innocent man was put to death. Did Barabbas know who he was being exchanged for? After the fact, did he realize the gravity of what just happened? I hope that Barabbas would have come to believe in Christ, especially after His crucifixion. Did he?

Barabbas didn't make the decision to be saved, although I'm sure he really appreciated the crowd's decision. We, unlike Barabbas, can make the decision. Choices are laid out for us everyday. Choices to find Christ in others, to be the light of Christ for others, the choice to choose Christ over everything else.

So if you walk away with anything from this post, I hope it is this: college is a time-consuming monster, and you need to watch El Orfanato. We must be thankful for our second chances, like the given to Barabbas, and we need to try to make the best of all our decisions.

No comments: