Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Just Dust

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

I love that Lenten phrase. Someone asked me why, saying that it was rather morbid. Yes, yes it is bleak and not very happy.

But that's life isn't it? It has its moments when all you see is bleak and unhappy. Simply put, life just sucks sometimes.

I feel now, more than I ever have, that Lent is truly the time to recharge. To simplify. Rid myself of the blackness and darkness inside so as to make way for the Light and the Truth to come and occupy every square inch.

I see this Lent with different eyes, a different heart, a different mindset. Losing someone I loved right before Ash Wednesday really brings those words into clearer focus. All we are is dust, and that is what we will inevitably return to. We must be mindful of ourselves. We can't let things go to the wayside because we say we will have time to do that or this later on. Sometimes, we don't have time later.

Inside our dusty selves, lies a soul that yearns to be fed, to be more than just dust. What can I be doing to feed and nurture my soul? What are you asking of me God?

Now is the time to look inside and talk with God. Now is the time to simplify and to pray. We should always pray outside of and in addition to the "big liturgical days/seasons", but I feel that Lent is especially the time to discover more about ourselves in preparation for the gift of love that is to come at Easter. It is a wondrous love, a healing love.

And so I leave you with this little spur of the moment scribble in a notebook:

Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner. Take pity on me, the grieving. Hold me in your arms and keep me from falling apart. Heal my hurting heart the way only Your love can. Help me remember that I am dust, and to dust I shall return. Amen.

No comments: