Saturday, February 13, 2010

For Reasons Unknown

This weekend was supposed to be the Confirmation retreat for our youth who will be making their Confirmation in just a few weeks. However, this funky winter weather changed our plans. Actually, God changed our plans for reasons we still have yet to understand.

I had to bust a move out of my Spanish class early (with permission of course), hoof it across campus to the parking garage, and pedal to the medal all the way down the interstate on a Friday at 4 o'clock when everyone and their brothers decided they wanted to leave work. When I got to the church 10 minutes later than I wanted to, everyone was there waiting on me. I threw my stuff into a car, and then we were off.

Everyone was excited and giddy: people like me and the youth leaders who have been to the retreat center multiple times, the adult drivers/chaperons, and especially the kids making their Confirmation and their first trip up to Eagle Rock.

As each mile passed the further we got to the mountains, the snow got progressively thicker. With each mile I had a sinking feeling that this trip wasn't going to happen after all. When we got to the meeting point at the foot of the mountain, the owners came down and met us, and said that going up the mountain was too risky. The steep, mountain-hugging road was a sheet of ice.

With our excitement balloon deflated, we turned around and headed for the church. So now we wait and reschedule at a different facility. Those of us that have been there before are pretty bummed about that. Eagle Rock is such a peaceful place. You can feel God's presence everywhere up there. It is one of the best places to have a retreat for those getting ready to make Confirmation. The positive thing is that we will have the retreat, and there are other facilities out there!

What we all know is that God had many reasons why we didn't go up that mountain this weekend. For reasons unknown, we are grateful and also a little sad. But like the good little youth group that we are, we will keep on trekking. Our little balloon doesn't have a hole in it, so it can be inflated again.

Interestingly/funnily/ironically enough, there is no precipitation in the valley...for right now anyway.

The two pictures are the only ones that I took of "this weekend." I usually take almost 200 pictures at every retreat.

Oh, and I just realized that this is my 100th post. It is sooo cheerful! Thanks for reading with me this far. I just write what I feel and share what I love. Glad you are all a part of it!

No comments: