Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reunited


If you are like me, then that song by Peaches & Herb pops into your head when you read the title. In fact, over the last week or so I heard the word 'reunited' twice and a line from that song popped into my head every time.

Reunited and it feels so good

I moved back into the dorm yesterday. It feels good to be unpacked and have a tidy room. Let's see how long that lasts. I enjoyed my time off...my winter break was a little over one month long. Towards the end though, I started to miss college.

What?! You ask me? Yes, yes I did miss homework, papers, staying up too late and waking up too early, walking to class, and even cafeteria food. It does feel good to be reunited with the University of Tennessee.

This feeling doesn't negate the slight case of new semester nerves and "holy crap I have to take a speech class" feeling. I'm also not excited in the least bit about my Statistical Reasoning class. The professor told us to print out 4 documents before class on Wednesday, and I think I killed an entire forest. I even double-sided the pages but still used quite a chunk of my printer paper. Then what killed me was what was on the notes! Math language. Symbols. Numbers. I DON'T SPEAK MATH.

This morning I went textbook hunting at the University store. I bought 3 books. I dropped $192.40 of my scholarship money on them. One of them was even a used copy. Lord have mercy on my wallet and my soul. Luckily I already have my Spanish book (same as last semester), and I probably won't have to buy my Environmental Geology book because the professor doesn't use it! He just goes with lecture notes that he puts up. There is no lab manual either, so I just print off the labs online and that is it.

Earlier my friend and I had lunch and then went to find my classrooms so I don't have to scramble and look lost tomorrow. That was relatively easy, but it was so cold outside! I'm still defrosting.

In spite of the things that I worry over, I still feel pretty good about being back. I felt even better after I read the other day's daily meditation:
"Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own." -Matthew 6:34

"Let us strive to make the present moment beautiful. Let us especially regret the smallest amount of time that we waste or fail to use in loving God." -St. John of the Cross

Lord God, help me to remember that yesterday is gone forever and tomorrow may never come. Let me live in the present and strive to do Your will.
So I will try to not worry about tomorrow or any "tomorrows." That is in itself a challenge, but I've got some great help from the Big Man himself.

I would like to think that UTK is just as excited as I am to be back. (If a humongous campus has feelings akin to those of a human being anyway). Ask me in a few weeks how happy I am to be doing homework and papers, and my opinion of "yay college" will probably be vastly different!

We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey

1 comment:

s-p said...

Peaches and Herb?? LOL! I haven't thought of them in decades! I can't believe the price of textbooks... I had a required book that cost about 100.00 for a theology course about 10 years ago. It sounded familiar so I went to my bookshelf and sho'nuff I had it. I paid 8.95 for it 30 years before and thought I was getting ripped off then. Textbooks did better than the stock market. sigh. Have a good semester!