Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wisdom Teeth Are Great

Yesterday I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. Never did I think I'd be able to be on the computer in such short a time. I know, the recovery time is way short, but being such the baby that I am, I had expected to be away from the virtual world for a long time.

All I remember about the procedure/oral surgeon visit from yesterday was sitting in the waiting room, silently stewing over my impending fate. Then another girl came in with her parents. She looked just as excited as I felt. Ha! Then after some silence, a drilling noise could be heard by all. I instantly looked up and met the other girl's eyes, and we both had silent, mini-strokes. It is amazing the bond you can share with a complete and total stranger. In times of trouble, we bond together.

Finally, it was my turn. As I was walking back, the nurse asked me how I was doing, and I sarcastically replied that I was great. Just grrrrreat. I'm a mean patient. I should probably write them a nice apology/explanation letter. I just don't like IV's, needles, the word surgery, and the fact that I won't be able to chew normally for a while. So naturally I take it out on the people who are involved with all of those nasty, terrible things. The good oral surgeon and his staff were very kind to me, the belligerent and whiny patient.

After sitting in the chair for just 5 seconds, I started to freak out. Then I started to hum one of my favorite songs, "Down to the River to Pray" by Alison Krauss. I just recently found out about it, and I love it. As I hummed, I said a few silent Hail Marys, and then I was calm. Doc came in, went over the checklist, and began to give me the IV. It wasn't as bad as my last IV experience, but it was enough to make me light headed. Then he said you'll start to feel funny. As I replied, "What kind of funny?" the nurse put the oxygen things in my nose, and I was out like a light. I came to in the recovery room. Now that I think about it, I wonder how they got me there because I couldn't walk without two people holding my hands!

The first day was brutal. It now seems that my body does not respond well to anesthesia or Hydrocodone. I could not stop getting sick for the life of me, even though I hadn't had anything to eat for at least the past 15 hours. That sucked really bad. I couldn't even keep a pain pill down long enough. Amazingly enough, I managed to keep Spaghetti-Os down later at night. Good ole Spaghetti-Os, the ever reliable food. I've been vomit free for almost 24 hours. I know, that was an over share.

Now I just look like a chipmunk, and I wish I could eat normally. It is kind of difficult to chew with just my front teeth. Not that you wanted to know my whole tale, but I had to share it anyway because writing gives me something to do! I would also like to share with you something that helps calm me down and put me in a prayerful state.

"Down to the River to Pray" by Alison Krauss

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !

O sisters let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O sisters let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord, show me the way !

O brothers let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
Come on brothers let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !

O fathers let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O fathers let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord, show me the way !

O mothers let's go down,
Come on down, don't you want to go down,
Come on mothers let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way !

O sinners let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down,
O sinners let's go down,
Down in the river to pray.

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord, show me the way !