Friday, December 18, 2009

A Different Kind of Treasure

I found it amusing, meaningful, and helpful that the Scripture verse for a daily meditation seemed to speak to my pack-rat nature. Indeed I am one, but I am getting better at not being a hoarder.

"Do not be concerned about storing up treasures on earth...Store up treasure for yourselves in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves cannot break in and steal." -Matthew 6:19-20

Now I am no theologian or Bible scholar, and even if the meaning of these verses does not pertain to pack-rat behavior, I think they would certainly help curb it.

Interestingly enough, this particular meditation comes in the month of December. In this season that more and more seems to be about consumerism and less about the importance of the birth of Christ, I find these verses helpful because I am reminded that in the end, material things don't mean anything. It is what I store up in heaven, what I give of myself and not of my wallet to God and my fellow human beings, that is really important.

Treasure doesn't have to be gold or silver (try telling that to Captain Jack Sparrow!), an iPod or a Wii, a pair of $100 jeans or a gift card. Treasure is the family and friends that God blessed us with. Treasure includes all the non-material gifts that God has given each of us. Most importantly, this different kind of treasure is the remembrance of our Savior's arrival to this world.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

We were packrats at one time, especially my husband. Then, because we moved from a 13-room house to a small RV, we gave away everything literally. That was in 2000. For the past nine years, I have refused to collect new stuff (we are no longer in an RV -- shortly after that move, we had a chance to live and work in Jordan and off we went). If I have money that could be spent on some "thing", I usually find some "one" who needs it and pass it along before I feel a stronger attraction to a collectible. That's what most things are: collectibles that we can't take with us when we leave this world. It is liberating not to be owned by things. Scripture has a number of wise passages in this regard.

I wish you a blessed Christmas!