Friday, November 6, 2009

Home

It's a Friday night on campus. It is also Homecoming here at the University of Tennessee. What did I do? I watched a movie with friends, and now I'm holed up in my room with a cold. I sneeze and cough every couple of minutes. Living the life, right?

My windows are open, and I can hear everything that is going on on the strip. People are sure excited about Homecoming and football here. It is so bizarre. And I love to people watch, don't get me wrong, but even these silly characters are throwing me for a loop.

When I swiped my card to get in the dorm, there was a girl standing in front of the elevators. She walked over and pushed the down button as opposed to the up button. In my building you can't get to the basement unless you are a maintenance guy or staff. She obviously wasn't. Plus, there are no dorm rooms in the basement!

Hmmm. I wondered, she is quite a character with her brown paper bag and wrong button pushed. We walked into the elevator together, and she still had yet to recognize my existence even though I was 3 or 4 feet away from her. Then the doors closed, and I could smell the alcohol. She was also on the phone with some dude who apparently hung up on her a lot. She gave him an earful in the short elevator ride that we shared together. She got off on the 3rd floor and I on the 5th. I'm sure I'll bump into her sometime again.

Obviously she was inebriated. Intoxicated. Wasted. Whatever word you would like to use, I'm sure it would fit her current state just fine. College is a very interesting place to say the least. While others enjoy booze, I'm enjoying Nyquil. While some (but certainly not all of campus) is out pre-game partying, I am inside blogging.

I am by no means normal, but tonight I sure feel normal. It's a nice feeling sometimes, normalcy. Here at UT there is never a dull moment. I am glad to call this place home. It's filled with interesting characters, sketchy elevators, pointless assignments, good cake, and awesome friends.

I would like to share another music video with you. I'm only posting it because of the song and less about the video itself. Once again I was foiled by the no embedding police, so you'll have to click on the link.

I bet you didn't think that sound would come out of his mouth, did you? I sure didn't the first time I heard just the song and then watched the video afterwards. With a cold, I think I sound an awful lot like him when I sing in the car! Enjoy Marc Broussard's "Home" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1v5trmB1E

3 comments:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

see what I mean about the stairs?

hope you will stop by my blog tomorrow for something new I am trying out.

Ashley Siferd said...

lol well I do now! I'll probably take them more often on pre-game/game day...days.

Moo! said...

WOW... I LOVE Marc Broussard!!! (I have to admit the voice doesn't seem to fit the face, but I got over it.)