Monday, November 23, 2009

God is Bigger Than the...Leaf?

Have you ever heard that Veggie Tales song "God is Bigger Than the Boogie Man"?

God is bigger than the Boogie Man
He's bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on TV
Oh God is bigger than the Boogie Man
and He's watching out for you and me


I thought of that song while I started thinking of blog ideas, and even more so after I picked up a very beautiful leaf the other day.

Ever since the leaves started falling off the trees, campus has been covered with them. Blankets of yellow, orange, and red! Some places you could barely see the concrete beneath your feet. I don't know what kind of tree it is, but there is this really massive one with equally massive leaves. I had been harboring a secret desire to take one, but I still hadn't mustered the courage to endure the weird stares that I knew would come my way. On Friday I was on my way to meet a friend for my birthday lunch, and I remembered that I saw a girl walking across the street with a big leaf in her hand. I didn't think she was weird. I wanted to thank her for opening up the leaf carrying door for me, actually!

I probably went through a good 10 leaves before I found the perfect one. I know I looked ridiculous bending over every couple of feet, picking up and examining the monster sized leaves. I didn't care though. I met up with my friend, anticipating her reaction. She just laughed at me, said it was totally something that I would do...carry a leaf around, and all was well. Although I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get in the cafeteria with my leaf, so I hid it under my jacket when I walked in.

I don't know why, but I'm very enamored by this leaf. I mean, it is bigger than my hand! You may think this is silly, but I can clearly see the beauty of God's creation and His love in this one leaf. And I like that.

In a way, it makes me feel good knowing that even though this leaf is at its end, I haven't forgotten about it. God hasn't either. So naturally, when we humans are coming to our ends, God isn't going to forget about us. The end, death, can come anytime and not just at old age. This realization has made me appreciate life more, especially coming off of the heels of my 19th birthday. It is, in the official lingo, my last kid/teenage birthday. I don't really like that because I want to be a kid forever! My friend said not to worry, you can make every birthday a "kid" birthday. Bless her and her wisdom and witty one-liners. I am getting older, but I am not going it alone.

"Do not cast me off when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength fails." -Psalm 71:9

"Do not wait for old age to offer yourself to God. Offer Him the flower of your youth, which will be pleasing to Him and which He will accept with the greatest of love." -St. Catherine of Siena

God is bigger than both the Boogie Man and my favorite leaf. Jesus conquered death, and so He is bigger than that too! A comforting notion, don't you think?

3 comments:

Haddock said...

I am getting older, but I am not going it alone..........Ha ha ...like that

Rachel M said...

Hello! Just stumbled on your blog be the normal click other people's list of blogs being followed and really glad I did. I am a HUGE fan of autumn leaves and rocks with sparkles in them or fossils. Have been since I was a kid. I used to collect bag fulls. I still have some sitting here or there in my house and every now and then I still stumble across a leaf I found at some point and pressed into a book. God always shows Himself to me in the little things as well as the big.

Ashley Siferd said...

I'm glad you stumbled across here Rachel! Welcome :)