Wednesday, October 7, 2009

That's My Job!


"Do you want to know one of the best ways to win over people and lead them to God? It consists in giving them joy and making them happy." -St. Francis of Assisi

When I came across this quote the other night, I laughed out loud. I laughed because it is very true. For me anyway. This quote is just one more reason why I love St. Francis of Assisi. He's just awesome like that.

Apparently I do a lot of things that make people smile and laugh. I can bet you that 9 times out of 10 I don't do those things on purpose. I find joy and laughter and the comedic side of everything. EVERYTHING. So naturally I accidentally (or purposefully) share the funny things. I was at work one day when someone said, "Ashley, you're so funny and cute. That was funny" I responded, "That's my job!" I've discovered that that is in fact my job in life, to bring joy and laughter to others.

The picture above elicited an interesting response. What was I doing? Is there something wrong with me? I was in the car waiting for the light to turn, and my friend happened to take that picture of me. I love it, and I'm not sure why because I look a little ridiculous. If you know me, then you know my disdain for sitting and waiting at lights, being in traffic, driving around people who can't drive...that is what the super frown face represents. And yes, there is something wrong with me...

-The other day, my roommate and I were getting ready for class early in the morning. I was standing next to my bed, and I turned to face her. In the process, I got closer to my bed and didn't realize how close I was until I hit my head on the little shelf that sticks out (that holds my alarm clock). I said ouch and tried to back away from the shelf only to hit/get my foot caught on a box of books that was on the floor. It was a commotion of sorts. I looked up at Jade, and we both started laughing at my failure to do whatever it was that I had originally set out to do. I still laugh thinking about that.

-How do you make holy water holy? Answer: You burn the hell out of it.
You better believe that I crack up every time I say that.

-I'm not making fun of other people's laughs because I too have an interesting one (I think anyway), but I love laughing when other people do. Especially if they have an interesting, not normal laugh.

-Recently, a lot of the things that make me laugh, I can't really post here. So we'll leave it at that.

-Seriously, every little thing has the potential to make me smile and possibly laugh. I get the church giggles very easily, and it is usually difficult for me to stop laughing.

Today I had the giggles. It was just a very good, hearty kind of laugh day. I really haven't had one of those before. It was surprising at first but nonetheless great. Laughter is the best medicine. I now believe that God does have a sense of humor, and I think that He wants to share that with us. Or at least provide us with the means to laugh.

"Serve the Lord with gladness. Come before Him with joyous song." -Psalm 100:2

P.S. -This is my 50th post. Whoo-hoo!

2 comments:

HomeSchoolCollegeCounselor said...

A great book on St. Francis is written by G.K. Chesterton. Check it out and see what you think.

s-p said...

That is a great quote from St. Francis, thanks! ...After 57 years I know it is true. Stay light and be Light, Ashley.