Friday, October 23, 2009

Random Thoughts

Over the course of this week, I have encountered or have been given things to think about. They are serious, funny, and whatever words fall in between those two. A few of these I could probably turn into decent posts, but I don't have much time at the present. So for now, here are some of the many thoughts swirling around in my head to ponder:

1) What is it about Secret Service and/or private security guys that make them so cool?

Today while I was walking to class, I came across a horde of men in suits, all by the bus stop. There were even more sitting in two parked cars that you just know belong to somebody important. After class, there weren't as many visible, but there were just enough to make those around me say, "What the @$!% are these guys doing here?" I for one didn't say that, but I was just as curious. I noticed that there were two kids huddling under an umbrella that was clearly not meant for two just off to the side of the bus stop. The suit guys said you all can come stand under here with us. The kids replied, no thanks. I found myself wishing, out loud, that I wanted to be one of the Secret Service/private security guys. I wanted to ask why they were here, but the chicken in me won out.

Is it the fancy ear pieces? The shades? The suits? Their good-looks (because believe me, they were easy on the eyes)? My friends, we have ourselves an enigma.

2) I just finished the book, Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder. It took me awhile to read it only because of homework and studying, but it was a very good read. It's about a man named Dr. Paul Farmer and his life story, which consists of curing "infectious diseases and to bring the lifesaving tools of modern medicine to those who need them most." Farmer's story is one we can all learn from, and possibly even find some way ourselves to help make the world a better place for the poor and down-trodden. Here is my favorite quote from the book. Think on this one for a good while:

"...and the idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world."

3) And lastly, why do my female collegiate peers think that it is acceptable to wear leggings in the place of pants? If you know the reason why or have some inkling of understanding this idiotic and ridiculous practice, please share it with me. What I abhor more than the leggings as pants practice is when I hear them complain that they're cold. They're cold when it's 40 degrees outside. Hello?! I wonder why...because you don't have pants on! That's why! Leggings go under short skirts and dresses or with long tunics. They are not a substitute for pants.

The end. Enjoy my random thoughts. I know I sure did rehashing them out for you.

1 comment:

s-p said...

Guys and girls...what a mystery. My 30 year old son tonight at supper said he JUST figured out that the worst you treat a girl the more she will pursue you. My 16 year old and 27 year old daughters said "Yup!".
So yeah, what's up with women and mysterious, distant/aloof men, leggings and all?