Monday, October 12, 2009

Out With The Old, In With The New

I know we've all heard that age-old adage, out with the old and in with the new. It was very fitting for the latest chapter in The Life of Ashley Siferd. Today marks a new beginning for my feet. I am saying goodbye to an old, sturdy, reliable pair of tennis shoes while at the same time welcoming my first pair of boots to the small but practical Siferd shoe family.

I would like to think that this is a fitting eulogy for a great pair of shoes:

L.A. Gear Size10
-Good old, reliable, trustworthy, sturdy, green and tan L.A. Gear. You proved that beauty is only skin deep, especially when people said you looked crummy, terrible even; while in reality, you were the most wonderful shoes a girl could ever ask for. You've been around for at least 2 years, if not more than that. Ashley has a tendency to wear shoes until they fall apart. You haven't fallen apart yet, but you're pretty close. You've gone to high school and to other states. You've faithfully mucked out smelly stalls, tramped through snow, mowed the lawn until you were green in the face (literally), and you went to your first job ever at the bagel shop where you then proceeded to pick up seeds and other mysterious t
hings that never come off your bottoms. The hole on your left side showed off the wonderful collection of socks that Ashley has squirreled away in drawers. You made it all the way to college, way to go kid! You will be greatly missed and never forgotten. Funeral arrangements were not released at time of press.

Why am I just now getting rid of my crummy looking tennis shoes? Well, they turned into work shoes, and I had to wait until I was officially no longer an employee at the bagel shop...just in case I had to work one more day. Now, I must find a respectable trash can to have the funeral.

In order to become a legitimate, serious hiker, I had to get official footwear. I went hiking boot shopping with a friend, and I am now a proud owner of a pair of Vasque boots. They look pretty awesome. I also now have a pair of Smartwool socks. I always make fun of my friend for wearing them, but I'll have to admit that he was right. They are comfy and practical! I don't have any fun things to say about my boots yet because we haven't gone anywhere, so for now...Welcome to the family, Vasque Size10!

No comments: