Friday, October 9, 2009

A Humble Step

"For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." -Luke 14:11


As I said a few posts ago, I quit my job. I wanted to explain why, especially because in times like these, why give up a perfectly good job?

I didn't actually need a job in the first place. However, the opportunity presented itself. I had never had a job in high school, and I thought that I might as well get my feet wet in the working world.

Being the typical teenager who thought she was invincible, I started college and a new job days apart. I thought that I could dive into both worlds. I quickly discovered that I could not. I was working part time and had (or should say still have) sixteen hours of class. While I had time to study, it ended up not being enough time. I know some people who do work and go to school full-time, and I think that it is truly awesome that they can do both.

There were also other reasons why I quit, but none that I feel the need to mention. The gist of the story is that studying time and school are important. Thinking back on it now, I see that it took me awhile to realize that I needed to cut the job. I guess it was the innate "invincible teenager that thinks everything is possible" that kept me from realizing what I should ought to have done sooner. Having a job was a humbling yet gratifying experience.

Life gives you a lot of hurdles, challenges, tasks to complete. I've either sailed or stumbled my way over those hurdles and completed those tasks. With each end to a problem, no matter the route that I take to get there, I climb a step. Each step is a little victory, a little thing to celebrate.

A few weeks ago, in lieu of the elevator, I took the stairs to the fifth floor. As I walked in, I looked up and thought that the view was really cool. After I made it up all 67 steps, I grabbed my camera from my room and went back to the stairwell. These pictures seem to sum up that each step climbed or overcome equals a victory. Only notice that the last picture is a view looking up.

I know there will be more steps, but now I know for certain that with God's help, I can climb them all.

2 comments:

RJW said...

What a great post! Nice to hear someone put their priorities in the proper order.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I did that, too, Ashley, when I was your age. College came first, and when a second job interfered, I gave it up. I can tell you three decades later that it was the right decision. Go, girl!