Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Good Times

My fall break is over. So I should be sad, right? Well, I'm not. It has been a few days since my last post, and that is because I have been a busy little girl. Here's a recap:

After I did my laundry on campus and finished homework, I headed home late Wednesday afternoon and spent the next few days with my family. It was nice being able to be home. No homework! Food only feet away instead of in the cafeteria! My cats! My dogs! My family! I caught up on some much needed movie watching and book reading time. I finally got a hair cut as well. The last time I got a hair cut was December 23, 2008.

Before:
After: On Saturday my friend Fr. David and I went hiking to a place called Max Patch. It's in North Carolina, just across the border from good ole Tennessee. We did the Max Patch circuit and then jumped onto a part of the Appalachian Trail. Success! Until then I had never been on the AT.

We almost didn't go because of the weather. It was supposed to rain and be cold. Guess what? It was rainy and cold, but once we were up in the mountains it was snowing! It was 31 degrees outside. You could see, but it was mostly white unless you looked at the trail, which was all muddy. Bundled up in layers and wearing my new boots made it all worthwhile. I'm extremely glad that I didn't chicken out of going because it was so much fun. It seems that every time I've ever gone hiking, it has precipitated in some form or fashion.

After hiking, I went to the barn and took care of the horses. We now have three pairs of mommas and babies. Fancy and Wild Fire are my favorite, but Onyx and Shadow are now tied for first place. Jenna and Royal are, well, they're growing on me. Anyway, I threw hay over the fence for Onyx and Shadow, and little Shadow came over and was nosing around. I walked along the fence line as she followed me. Time to play? You better believe it. Then we ran along the fence line together. Oh she is so much fun! Then Onyx joined in, and it was one great big, running, nickering, legs in the air kind of party. Except for me, I just ran. I love horses, especially the little ones. Thanks God.

I was a lector at Mass on Sunday morning. It is one of my favorite things to do for the church (and for God!). Although being a vimp is quite fun. I noticed during the Psalm that I kept having to clear my throat. It was problematic because I can't do that daintily or ladylike, usually, but I managed. I thought I was in the clear, and then halfway through the reading my voice started to crack. It didn't stop. It was a little embarrassing, but hey, what can you do? I laughed about it later with a good buddy of mine who planned on being funny/embarrassing me even more during Communion. Wisely so, he chose not to. I know people who know people.

The only sad part about my break was finding out that Birdie, see her story and update, had passed away. She was down in the field and could not get up. The call was made to humanely put her down Saturday evening. She fought a valiant fight, and she will be greatly missed.

So far, I've been able to return to the college routine just fine. It has been a pretty good week so far. Beth Niquette over at Angel Stories found my post on Elizabeth Mahlou's Blest Atheist site, and she put it up on hers! How cool! Yesterday I went back into town to visit my best friend, Becca, who is at college a few hours away in Johnson City. We had lunch together and then visited our senior friends at school. It was a good day.

It would appear that Fall has decided to skip Tennessee this year, which makes me sad because Fall is my favorite season. It's freezing in my dorm room, the hallway, even the elevators, and of course it's colder outside. The heat doesn't get turned on until: a) sometime next week or b) we have six consecutive days of below some number x degrees Fahrenheit...I'm not sure which theory is correct. I look forward to blow drying my hair in the morning because I warm up that way. I've never enjoyed that girly task, which tells you something if I actually want to do it now. Luckily it warms up in the afternoon and feels quite nice out.

No comments: