Sunday, September 6, 2009

That's Some Spider!

I came home on Saturday to find my family outside working on various projects. I heaved an inward sigh of relief because that meant I didn't have a job to do! I was also happy to have made it out of Knoxville alive. If you don't know, it's football time in Tennessee. Oh wait...

IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!

There. That is how it's actually said. When people say that phrase, it is said in all capital letters. I like to watch football, don't get me wrong. It's just that I felt like a pariah when I told people that I was in fact not going to UT's opener against Western Kentucky...because I had to work. I'm glad I did not go (even though I had no choice really) because UT slaughtered WKU 63-7. I like to watch football, not a massacre. Maybe it's just because I'm a softy, but I would think that maybe after 30 points, you could be a little nicer. Don't tell my fellow UT students that I said that!

I digress. When I finished bringing all of my stuff in from the car, my sister proceeded to excitedly tell me about the spider! The spider! The spider! Kayla shouted, "Let me show you it!" I replied with an absolute no. I can't stand the sight of them. My skin crawls when I see one of those tiny little demons. As Kayla tried to drag me out front, I planted my feet firmly to the ground. Then my mom interjected and said that we had a resident writing spider. A big one. Curiosity got the best of me. I've always been fascinated by them (and writing spiders only).

It is MASSIVE. I got the heebie jeebies just looking at it from a few feet away. The way she was facing was bad for trying to take pictures, but I sure as heck wasn't crawling behind bushes to get a better shot! I don't think she is officially finished with her web because I've seen writing spider webs with a lot more detail. Nevertheless it was a sight to see.

As grotesque and horrifying as it was for me to be that close to a spider that big (and to resist the urge to find a shoe...), I can't help but marvel at the beauty of creation. Each little bug and every human and each piece of rock has value. Life is ever-present. Rocks you say? Yes, I say. I try to find God in everything...case in point, the writing spider, which is no easy feat for me folks.

So if I can find the beauty of God in a spider and her web, would it be so hard for me to find it in another person? Well, yes and no. Yes because, for me, it is relatively easy to find God in those you love, especially family and friends. No because it is hard sometimes to be able to get past boundary markers: that yuppie guy, that punk rocker chick, that homeless man, that nerdy girl, etc. It isn't impossible though. Jesus was able to dine with sinners and tax collectors. In fact, He chose to do so. It all rests with our decision making.

If we choose to find God in all things, I think our world would be a nicer place to live. Sometimes it isn't that easy to find God in certain situations and/or people, but that's okay. It's normal. If life and the decisions we have to make were easy, I think we should be a little scared.

That's some spider. Look at what a tiny little thing inspired!

5 comments:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

hola ashley espero que te encuentres de salud te quiero mucho de diego alejandro ramirez.

s-p said...

Ashley...No tenga meido! Esta bonita. Me gusta las aranas! Es una cosa buena no tienes las tarantulas alla! Son muy grandes y fea.
(Hola, Padre!)

RJW said...

Nice post! Made me think of Charlotte's Web.

Ashley Siferd said...

s-p, No me gustan las tarantulas! No way Jose! My Spanish isn't that great yet...pero,

Las aranas me dan los "heebie jeebies." :)

s-p said...

Your Spanish is better than mine! "eebie heebies" eh? :)