Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

I recently came to love this hymn. A short while ago we sang it during Compline (evening prayer) at the Episcopal-Lutheran residence. It was one of the most beautiful prayer services that I've been a part of. There were only around 10 of us and a few of them are music majors so they sing like I wish I could. Add the piano, and wow, what a great way to praise the Lord.

Then a few days later, my friend and I made some mixed CDs and Sufjan Stevens' version of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was on the first CD. I love it so much that I want to share it with you, even though I bet most of you have heard it at some point in your lives. I can't fully describe what it is about this hymn that makes me love it so much. Maybe it is because it speaks what I feel in my heart.

Here are the lyrics:

Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy unchanging love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

4 comments:

s-p said...

Ashley, This is one of my top favorite hymns too. I love the reference to the "Ebenezer stone", I've preached many a sermon on it. I'm glad there are "kids" who know and love it too. :)

Ashley Siferd said...

Could you explain the Ebenezer reference? The only thing I can think of is Scrooge...

s-p said...

Hi Ashley, It is a beautiful image. In I Samuel 7:12ff, Israel defeats the Philistines and returns the Ark of the Covenant to Israel. Samuel sets up a stone altar at the place of victory and "Eben-ezer" is Hebrew for "Thus far by God's help we have come..."

Ashley Siferd said...

Awesome! Thanks for enlightening me. After I read your comment, I went back through the lyrics and I like the hymn even more now!