Monday, August 10, 2009

Show Us Them Pearly Whites


Today I paid a visit to the dentist's office. I have never been afraid of going, but I have always been afraid of what he might say. For instance, you have a cavity. That was years back though, and I've never had any trouble since. My pearly whites are fine. The visit was for the most part uneventful. It was cold inside (which I like); it smelled faintly of cigarette smoke, which didn't bother me but was puzzling nonetheless; I had the extreme pleasure of looking at hundreds of cars pass by (since I had a beautiful view of the highway from the chair); and that annoying overhead light didn't make my eyes water like it usually does.

However, last August, I was told that my wisdom teeth were coming in but that I would be able to wait awhile before they needed to come out. So, I planned on getting them out Christmas 2008. That didn't work. Easter and spring breaks didn't work either. But why worry? He said I had awhile...right? Well, surprise! The dental hygienist said that I should get them out this Christmas. I looked at the x-ray of my teeth, and sure enough, the little terrors are more visible than they were last time (last time you could barely see them). It's funny though because I've never had any wisdom teeth related pain.

I don't want them out (...all "losing your wisdom" jokes aside). When he said awhile, I ridiculously hoped and thought that meant a few decades! Not one year! I'm terrified of having an IV in. Can you believe that is the only reason I don't want to have my wisdom teeth removed? Well, it's true. I'm deathly afraid of needles. But, I have to have them out. So my request to you readers and friends is that you pray for me and that my wisdom teeth can hold off until Christmas break. And may your next visit to the dentist not include the talk of wisdom teeth removal (if your's aren't already out).

1 comment:

Katie said...

My wisdom teeth decided to start coming in and hurting terribly in Africa. Not fun to chew on only one side of your mouth. Hopefully I can get them out soon.