Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Dorm and College...So Far

So this won't really be a new series, but I thought I'd update the world on my college days so far. Classes haven't started yet, but they will tomorrow...dun dun dun. I'm pretty proud of my dorm room, so take a gander. My roommate and I aren't finished yet though; we still have some wicked awesome posters to put up. We're both not big time decorators, so compared to other rooms that I've seen, ours doesn't look like it came out of Home and Gardens or the Sears catalog. My bed is lofted over the desk. Please don't ask me how many times I have hit my head getting up from the desk...because I can't remember anymore.

The University of Tennessee Knoxville campus is rather large, and to get anywhere one must do a little walking. I personally enjoy it at times, but since it has been hotter than hot the past few days, I don't particularly enjoy sweating like it's going out of style. I am proud of myself because I can now get to certain areas of campus without a map. Actually, I haven't used a map since I've been here, which is a surprising feat since I am directionally impaired. One day when I'm brave enough to walk around campus with my big monstrous Nikon, I'll show you some of the sights to see.

I live in a suite-style dorm. Basically it is two rooms per one semi-private bathroom (no community showers for me!!!). Lucky for me, and to the quite obvious relief of my mother, a cleaning crew comes in once a week to scrub the toilet and shower. I live on the 5th floor, which to me, is sort of a punishment because I absolutely abhor elevators. I know I know, take the stairs...but would you take them everyday? The defunct dorm next door to mine is now a cafeteria, and I can't tell you how awesome it is that I don't have to walk too far to get food. My dorm is also conveniently located on the strip (Cumberland Avenue). I'm also not too far from the bagel shop where I work, although I still take my car for that jog down the road.

Next post I'll show you the finished dorm room, complete with Led Zeppelin and Batman posters. Peace and love.

2 comments:

s-p said...

Cool...Led Zeppelin poster??? I had one. In 1970. Yikes. May your semester be blessed.

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

ummm.....yes I would take the stairs everyday.....but I am strange like that.