Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Optimus Prime is My Hero


I absolutely love the Transformers franchise. While I did not play with the toys as a child, I believe I made up for that lost time when I first watched Transformers two summers ago. If you ask my family and friends, they will probably tell you that I'm obsessed. What 18 year old girl loves autonomous robotic organisms? Well, I do. I have an Optimus Prime key chain on my car keys.

My favorite Autobot is Optimus Prime. Actually, he's one of my heroes. He is the leader of the Autobots, a semi truck, and he always saves the day! He also says some profound things. It's a little silly I know, but two of my all time favorite quotes are said by him.

A big thanks to imdb.com for having the "Memorable Quotes" section on their site. From the first movie, Transformers:
Ironhide: Why are we fighting to save the humans? They're a primitive and violent race.
Optimus Prime: Were we so different? They're a young species. They have much to learn. But I've seen goodness in them. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. You all know there's only one way to end this war: we must destroy the Cube. If all else fails, I will unite it with the spark in my chest.
Ratchet: That's suicide! The Cube is raw power, it could destroy you both!
Optimus Prime: A necessary sacrifice to bring peace to this planet. We cannot let the humans pay for our mistakes. It's been an honor serving with you all. Autobots, roll out!

Now do you see why he is awesome? Last Friday I went to the movies with some friends. What was our movie of choice? Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Once again, Optimus Prime gives the world a great quote.

From Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen:
Optimus Prime: Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.

So why blog about alien robots who save the day? Well, besides the fact that the movies are freaking awesome, the characters say some things that I think we could all learn from. Seriously. If we shared the heroic view that Optimus has of helping and fighting for the human race, maybe the world would be a better place. And of course, it is very interesting when you ponder the last quote...

No comments: