Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Horsin' Around

I know that the last few posts haven't been about faith or really anything to "learn" from, but I enjoy sharing pieces of my life. So here is my latest adventure!

Yesterday my best friend Becca, her mom, a family friend, and I went to the Kentucky Horse Park. While waking up at 5:30 in the morning was not the highlight of the trip, we set off early in order to spend all day at the park. We got there and noticed that there was an awful lot of construction going on inside. Because the Kentucky Horse Park will host the 2010 FEI World Equestrian Games, the park was undergoing major renovations to accommodate the influx of horses and events for next summer. The others had been to the park many times before, whereas I had never been. They came to find over the course of the day that a lot of things were different. Becca's mom stated it well when she said the park seemed to be at "half mast." That didn't stop us from having fun though.

We are all horse people, so naturally we were in our element. I loved it! The history of the park and the property, the miniature horse's little snot of a foal (yes, imagine a baby horse but ten times smaller...it's real), and the big barns were all very interesting. I'm a history buff, and I thoroughly enjoyed the history of the horse museum. It was an entire museum dedicated to just the horse...awesome! Here is a piece of information that you will never use: when transported across the ocean, horses were hoisted onto the ship in a sling. They stayed in that sling the entire length of the journey, suspended over the floor so that they could "move with the ship" and stay off their legs.

Obviously my favorite things involved actual horses. The Hall of Champions introduced you to famous Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds. We were able to see Kona Gold, Da Hoss, Cigar, Funny Cide, and Western Dreamer if you know who any of those horse legends are. The Parade of Breeds displayed several different horse breeds. Horse and rider alike were costumed according to the horse's history. That was really cool. And of course, the Draft Horses. Who doesn't love a gentle giant? They are massive up close.

(Funny Cide)
(Parade of Breeds, left to right: Friesian, Morgan, Appaloosa, and an Arabian)

(Burt, the English Shire...massive isn't he?)My fun day was spent horsing around in horse country at a place where these wonderful creatures are honored. "Thou shalt fly without wings" is a quote that you see often at the horse park. If you have ever seen a horse gallop or have had the privilege of riding one, then you know that this quote is very true. If you have never been to the Kentucky Horse Park, I suggest you go. It is one of the coolest places that I've ever been. Although, you might want to wait until after the construction and the horse games!

In a way, every adventure is a time for you to learn something. This latest one helped me to appreciate the horse even more and thank God for them. I encourage you to go on an adventure, you never know what you might learn from it!

No comments: