Friday, July 17, 2009

Cleaning


With my moving out of the house date looming on the horizon, I have had to clean. I mean, CLEAN. It's a go through everything and get rid of junk kind of clean. I've been working on little sections of my room for a little over a week now, and if you didn't already know, well, I'm a pack rat. I save everything. I collect, pilfer, and hide silly little things like they were going out of style.

I'm a good pack rat though. I make my room look clean, but one false step, and an avalanche of crap/stuff/things/useless and not useless junk could bury you alive. I don't dust very often either, so a lot of the things I've been going through haven't seen Pledge or a dust rag in years. Seriously. I've gone through a couple of shirts that accidentally turned into dust rags. The cats and dogs that sleep in my room throughout all hours of the day have left their mark as well. I've never seen so much animal hair in my life! The fun part of this dirty job is that I've found a lot of things that remind me of my childhood. Old memories were instantly triggered just by picking up an ancient middle school note asking me to the dance, a broken watch, a friend's picture, my Great Grandmother's jewelry...the list is endless.

Today I found a stack of bookmarks that had the paper clip they were trapped in stretched beyond recognition. These were bookmarks that I have actually used over the past decade or so. I'm only keeping a small amount of the twenty-six. I've dog-eared my Bible too much, so these nifty little place holders will do the job nicely. Here is what my favorite religious bookmarks said:

!) "The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." -Galatians 5:22, 23

2) King's Kid. "You are God's work of art, made new in Jesus Christ to do good things." (Ephesians 2:10). God is always with me.

3) A Winner's Creed: If you think you are beaten, you are; if you think you dare not, you don't; if you'd like to win, but think you can't, it's almost a cinch you won't. If you think you'll lose, you're lost, for out in the world we find success begins with a person's faith; it's all in the state of mind. Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster hand; they go to the one who trusts in God and always thinks "I can."

I certainly have enjoyed cleaning my room thus far. Put a smile on your face and clean your room too!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow, its amazing that you have the gumption to do this...give me some!!!! i am dreading the day (very fast approaching!)... :D I love you Ashley Siferd!!!!