Friday, May 29, 2009

Bicycle Man

Last night, as I drove down the road, I passed a man bicycling up the hill. It was a pretty steep hill to attempt such a feat. He didn't fit the typical cyclist build or profile that I normally see. He was just your average guy, had a beard, wore cool sunglasses, and had a slight paunch.

I think what fascinated me the most was that he did NOT fit the typical cyclist profile, and here he was, pedaling up the hill. I'm not a creeper, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this man. In the few seconds that I observed him, I came to respect him. What I admired most about this complete stranger was his determination. It was just really cool and oddly humbling at the same time for me to watch him persevere up this impossible hill. Even at a distance, I could tell that he was breathing heavily, which led me to believe that he didn't do that kind of thing on a regular basis. I know I certainly don't. I used to ride my bike to school in New Jersey-where everything is flat.

I found myself rooting for him. Yes, even cheering him on. Then I realized that I was praying for him. I still don't fully understand how or why, but I do know that I did. I asked God to help him up the hill and for a safe journey home. I also asked God to bless that man, because what he was doing was awesome. Awesome in the fact that I don't think I could ever do that. The stranger on the bicycle is now one of my heroes.

Here's to you, Bicycle Man!

2 comments:

songbirdbee said...

i saw the same thing yesterday. this old guy was going up 321, right there after you cross 321 and 11. [really harrrrddd.] it was crazy! and he was really realllly old. and he had a lot of stuff on his bike too.

Ashley Siferd said...

That is intense. It's much harder than Harrison Road, right after the practice field (where I saw the bicycle guy).