Monday, May 18, 2009

Being An Instrument of Peace


Today I found my patience being tested. A lack of communication and understanding between myself and another person made this morning quite interesting to say the least. It was nothing bad, but to a third party observer, it would have been incredibly funny to watch. As I was trying out blog ideas in my head today, this morning's "discussion" seemed to correlate perfectly with being an instrument of peace.

A while back, I had discovered on a retreat that one of my goals is to be an instrument of peace for those around me...friends, family, perfect strangers.
Just being friendly and having a smile on your face can be enough to be an instrument of peace. Showing God's love can be effortless at times, but it can also be challenging too. It can be particularly hard sometimes to bring peace to certain situations, to show love to someone that makes it difficult to do so, or even to just take the time to listen when we don't feel like listening. It's difficult yes, but it's not impossible. That's when I like to say the Peace Prayer of St. Francis. It helps me a lot.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;

where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;

where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and
where there is sadness, joy;

Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand, to be loved as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

2 comments:

Mark G. said...

My grandma gave me a little wall plaque with the Peace Prayer on it. I wish I still had it. A very helpful & favorite prayer.

I kept a San Damiano crucifix on my desk at work for years before relocating it to the classroom. The whole history of salvation & how we enter into it is there, you just have to look a while.

Katie said...

Ashley, can I just say...it has been absolutely amazing watching you grow in your faith in God! I love you...a lot and will miss you bunches! :)